Sun, Sep 8, 12:04 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 9:50 am)

Subject: Survey - These look okay on YOUR monitor?

Gordon_S ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 7:36 PM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 10:05 AM

Attached Link: http://www.fotoonz.com

file_320850.jpg

Hi All, I've been putting these humorous renderings on my site all month thinking that they were looking pretty good, exposure-wise. Not overly dark, good shadow detail, that sort of thing. To my horror, when I log on to my site from the PC's at work, all the renderings look WAY too dark. They look all right on the UNIX w/stations, though. Very strange. So, I'm thinking that maybe all those old, cheap PC's around work just have flaky displays. I hope. And that's where the survey comes in. Do the renderings display well on YOUR monitor. I don't want to be posting stuff on the site that poeople can barely see. Thanks!! Gordon

Unicornst ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 7:40 PM

Looks fine to me. Lighting is good and no darkness at all. Well, except for the dark humour. grin Janet

slinger ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 7:41 PM

Yup, looks fine to me too.

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 7:44 PM

They look fine to me, too. FYI, I'm using a 19" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 CRT. BTW, old monitors do lose their definition and brightness.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 7:44 PM

Looks okay to me.

Monitors tend to get darker with age. I've also noticed that images tend to look darker on CRT monitors than on LCD. Then there's there's the Mac. vs. PC gamma thing.

In short, it's probably a good idea to test Web graphics on a variety of different systems, if you can.

dallas40m ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 7:46 PM

Looks great on my monitor! : D

Warmest Regards,

Dallas

Gordon_S ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 7:54 PM

I had a couple of reports that the text was scrambled on a couple of the pages. It turned out that they had their text size set to something other than Windows standard (96 dpi). I guess with a web site you can't compensate for ALL the variables. I AM thinking that it's a display problem with those old PC's my company has. All no-brand with Samsung SyncMaster monitors, and low-end S3 Savage graphics cards.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 8:03 PM

using a Samsung Flat panel, looks fine from here..though I don't share the sentiment about mimes..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 8:06 PM

The text look scrambled to me, too.

I think you'll find that a lot of people have their text set to something other than Windows standard these days. New high-res video cards mean text looks like microfilm unless you enlarge it.

Tunesy ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 8:17 PM · edited Sat, 21 January 2006 at 8:20 PM

There are several free utilities available on the net to 'calibrate' your monitor so that colors, brightness, etc look as true to life as feasible. I can root around and tell you what I use if nobody chimes in with a link soon. If you produce images on an uncalibrated monitor you can't really tell what it 'should' look like.

Message edited on: 01/21/2006 20:20

Tunesy ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 8:23 PM · edited Sat, 21 January 2006 at 8:26 PM

...oops. Poor choice of words on my part. Sorry. Should say: If you produce images on an uncalibrated monitor you won't know what they look like on a properly calibrated monitor.

Message edited on: 01/21/2006 20:26

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 8:55 PM

They fine on my PC.

Gordon_S ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 9:09 PM

I'm not sure what can be done about the text issue. I think that a web page HAS to be set to a particular text dpi. If there's a way around it, I'd love to know about it.

templargfx ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 9:14 PM

It looks fine on my current display setup, but if I run the NVIDIA display wizard and set it according to its guidlines, the images are dark, very dark! luckily I dont use the nvidia settings LOL

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 9:39 PM

Look fine on my PC, too. Incidently, the primary reason for this kinda thing is different Gamma factors on different systems. PCs run mostly about 1.7 to 2.2 (they are supposed to be 2.2, the NTSC standard), Macs run rather lower, originally they were supposed to use Gamma 1.0 I think (same as paper), typically 1.4 to 1.8 nowdays, though. I'd guess Unix workstations run closer to Mac than PC settings. The Gamma factor is the brightness curve vs voltage, the 2.2 gamma is supposed to match the response of the human eye, so both lights and darks have equal spacing.

Tunesy ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 9:47 PM

From Jasc site, along the lines of what Jim was saying: "To get the very best results when working with Jasc Paint Shop Pro , you need to have a properly calibrated monitor. Calibrating the monitor improves the quality of your graphics and photos, and allows others to view your images as you intend them to be viewed..." The rest of it can be found here: http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

ariannah ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 9:52 PM

Looking good on my Apple Cinema display as well. :)

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

odf ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 10:00 PM

Looking perfectly okay on my Dell LCD.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

cindyx ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 10:00 PM

Looks great on my new CRT monitor!

Shardz ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 10:21 PM

Yep! I'm running a brand new flat screen CRT monitor at 1600x1200 powered by NVidia and the image looks just fine to me. My monitor is calibrated and tuned, as well! Funny image, and it's just a tragedy! ;)

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 10:48 PM

file_320851.jpg

Web pages don't have to be set to a particular text size. Usually, the problem is if you set the text size with CSS. One size does not fit all. Or if you use funky formatting, the text will be cut off if the user's setting is larger than the web designer expected.

Ideally, you should let the user's browser settings determine the text size. You can sort of test this in IE by using the "accessibility" options. See what your page looks like with ignore font sizes checked. People do surf with their browsers set that way, especially if they are visually handicapped or just are over 40 years old. And Firefox makes it very easy to see what your site looks like with different font sizes.

Making a web page that is accessible to all does limit what you can do with layouts, etc. I've noticed many sites these days now offer several sizes - so the page is readable on a variety of systems, and they can still use fancy layouts.

But in the case of this site...the layout is really pretty simple. It would be pretty easy to get a similar look - without having the text cut off if the font size is wrong.

Foxseelady ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 11:25 PM

Gah your funnies are too funny lol. It looks okay on my monitor and I doubt they get much older lol I've had this same old machine since 2000/01 about. It's a samtron monitor says 76v in the corner don't know if that helps much.

BastBlack ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 11:31 PM

Looks fine on my Mac moniter. It's the PCs that go dark and the flatscreens that go too light. bB

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 3:59 AM

Looks good on this PC (and I know my monitor struggles to get a sufficient brightness range -- Quickgamma helps a lot).

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 5:10 AM

They're fine here too. I do have my monitor set very bright though (and thus have some people complaining that my pics are too dark...) I can't stand dark monitors. I need them BRIGHT - It's the only light I get LOL

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

FishNose ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 6:36 AM

I have my 22" CRT set to standard 9300K and th eimage looks just fine to me. :] Fish

FishNose ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 6:42 AM

I just checked out the site - absolutely, totally brilliant!!!! Just my kind of humor/angle on things. Dachshorse.... wow. And toilet trees! :] Fish

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 7:57 AM

Love the comedy, great visualizations...have you ever read Terry Pratchett's "Diskworld" series? Lord Vetinari has a punishment for mimes that includes being suspended upside down in a pit of scorpions where they can read the message "Learn the Words!" at their leisure.

blonderella ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 8:48 AM

Attached Link: http://bryce-alive.net/calibrate/

they look great to me...*ROTFLMAO* @ the Peking duck...hehehehehehehe.....LOVE your sense of humour!!! here's a link to a great resource for calibrating a monitor...a lot of people aren't aware that theirs may need adjustment...I didn't until I calibrated it...the difference shocked me, I didn't know mine was so off! Karen

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 8:59 AM

The problem is that most people adjust their monitors so text looks good. Graphic artists may adjust their monitors so the colors are true for printing. I suspect few people really adjust their monitors solely for Web images.

It's definitely a compromise for me. If I follow those monitor calibration things, text ends up very ugly (pale and washed out). So my monitor is set a bit contrast-y.

Neyjour ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 1:08 PM

Looks great on my monitor. :)

"You don't know what we can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free." - Steppenwolf

Gordon_S ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 1:22 PM

Well, I think it's safe to say that the old, cheap monitors where I work are the culprits here. I still need to address the text display problem, but that shouldn't be too difficult. I hope! Thanks for all of your help and kind remarks!!! I do appreciate it. :-)

cspear ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2006 at 8:38 AM

Well, on my fully colour-managed system they look perfectly OK.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Gordon_S ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2006 at 10:47 AM

Well, my concerns have been put to rest. Another thing that I realized about the suspect monitors at work is that they're shadow-mask type monitors, which display darker than those using trinitron technology. It didn't occur to me sooner because everyone quit making the stupid things five or six years ago. I got out of the habit of even having to think about them.
Of course, now LCD's are supplanting CRT's, and there's a whole wide range of quality available on them.
The color and exposure values on the jpegs I've posted seem to be pretty close to as good as it gets, from what I've gathered from this survey.
Again, I appreciate you all taking the time to help!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.