Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT- Photoshop to go cloud only

ypvs opened this issue on May 07, 2013 ยท 106 posts

Joe@HFG posted Tue, 07 May 2013 at 9:57 AM

I'm sure if the community gets motivated enough we could make it worth someones while to create an OpenStudio along the lines of OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Most of the parts are there. GIMP and InkScape give you a lot of the functionality of Photoshop and Inkscape. Scribus, give you a lot of the tools you'ld want from InDesign.

For AfterEffects and Premier, Blender3D is actually a really serious threat.

In fact... I was wondering if someone could just use Blenders core to eliminate Photoshop and Illustrator all together. Maybe even a simple set of Python scripts. By using Blender's tools and nodes, pretty much all your actions could make use of a GPU's power as well.

Blenders already built a brush infrastucture for their sculpting tools, which also challenges Zbrush nicely.

About the only thing I've never found is a FOSS work around for is Flash. There is simply no OpenSource animation software worth a damn.

If I ever hit the lottery, that is what my first public project will be. I'll hire programers to sift through the code, eliminate the duplications, and create a true OpenSource rival to Adobe's dominance.

Maybe someone with the skills could start a Kickstarter.

mo·nop·o·ly  [muh-nop-uh-lee]
noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market,
or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices