Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT- Photoshop to go cloud only

ypvs opened this issue on May 07, 2013 ยท 106 posts

booksbydavid posted Wed, 08 May 2013 at 12:00 PM

Quote - Hard drives are faulty and outdated. They have always been the weakest link in any computer due to their very design, and are responsible for most crashes and data loss. With cloud computing you are 99.9% guranteed no loss of data unless there is a deliberate system-wide server wipe.

~Shane

So, what is the data in 'the cloud' being stored on? If it's not the faulty and outdated hard drive, then what is it? Solid State drives? They can be just as faulty.

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that these 'clouds' are just rooms full of servers packed with hard drives generating tons of heat while chugging along storing all of our precious data. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

The 'cloud' isn't some all-knowing, all-seeing mega storage place, it's lots of little places, start ups and established companies, that run these servers and collect our data as well as whatever monthly fee they decided to charge. If the company you use goes belly up or they have a power outage or whatever, then what?

As I said, I could be wrong, but this is how I understand the 'cloud'. I'd much rather trust to my own external hard drives and backups than to a 'cloud'.

I am open to correction.