Sat, Sep 7, 10:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:19 am)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Useful Free Conversion Tool

keppel ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2021 at 8:23 AM · edited Mon, 15 July 2024 at 8:41 AM

Just came across this free online file conversion site. Apart from the usual image, video, audio and document conversion there is also a mesh section. Here you can convert over 40 different mesh formats to obj and fbx for free. This includes files from Maya, Max, Cinema4D. Only limitation is that the size of the file for conversion is capped at 50mb. The site is anyconv.com

My Renderosity Store
Virtual Furnishing
My Portfolio

Torquinox ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2021 at 2:26 PM
Online Now!

The idea sounds neat, but let's be extremely untrusting of anything that is free and asks you to blindly upload your files. They're getting and certainly storing your files. You can't prove they've deleted anything. You have no idea what they're actually doing with those files. Maybe German law requires them to be trustworthy. Not sure. I'd like to believe that, but I don't. And neither should you.

keppel ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2021 at 5:49 PM

The main benefit of a site like this is not in converting files you have made. Why would you as you have the software that was used to create the model and if you needed to pass it on to someone else then you could do so in any number of export formats. This site is useful when you have a model that you have downloaded that is in a format that Blender can't import. There are a number of sites that offer free models for download but they are often in formats like .max or .c4d which Blender can't import. Using this site to convert those models poses no risk to you and results in the opportunity to use a model that you couldn't otherwise have used.

My Renderosity Store
Virtual Furnishing
My Portfolio

Torquinox ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2021 at 5:58 PM
Online Now!

That makes sense.

mmoir ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2021 at 8:06 PM

Hmmm. This looks useful, hopefully it works well.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2021 at 10:27 PM

keppel posted at 10:01PM Tue, 12 January 2021 - #4410108

The main benefit of a site like this is not in converting files you have made. Why would you as you have the software that was used to create the model and if you needed to pass it on to someone else then you could do so in any number of export formats. This site is useful when you have a model that you have downloaded that is in a format that Blender can't import. There are a number of sites that offer free models for download but they are often in formats like .max or .c4d which Blender can't import. Using this site to convert those models poses no risk to you and results in the opportunity to use a model that you couldn't otherwise have used.

Well, I don't think the .max conversion will work, if it's even legal for them to offer it. The .max extension is a proprietary scene file format for 3dsmax, not a model or object definition. In the same way a .blend file will contain all the scene information, a .max file will contain models, lights, materials, animations, modifiers, and plugins that are tied to the 3dsmax software itself. Texture locations, however, are always relative to the file location. Unlike Blender, .max can not pack textures into the file. I'd be interested to see what it does with a .max conversion. I might try it with one of my own files.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

LuxXeon ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2021 at 1:12 PM

Well, I uploaded one of my own .max files to the site for conversion. I chose the OBJ conversion because I really wanted to see how it would handle that. I had to upload a very small scene file, because they wouldn't accept anything over 50mb. I went with a simple 1 mb file.

The first thing I noticed was that even though I chose the option to convert it to OBJ, it automatically switched to FBX, which makes perfect sense. The .max scene file contains scene information that would be useless to OBJ, but FBX can handle things like cameras and some modifier information.

The conversion process never fully completed though. I let it go on for almost 10 minutes on a 1 mb .max file, but it never finished the conversion and I didn't have time to sit there longer than 10 minutes. In thier list, it does claim to support .max to obj, but like i said, it seems to switch to FBX and then never fully finish the conversion. If anyone out there ever had a successful .max conversion, I'd love to know how that turned out.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.