Sat, Sep 7, 10:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 9:50 am)

Subject: Texture Bombing - imported from Blender

Graybeard ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 5:54 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 11:25 PM

In a thread from a couple of days ago, I asked for a way to do Texture bombing in Poser. https://www.renderosity.com/forums/threads/2977739/early-to-the-party-wishes-for-poser-14-texture-bombing-blender-bridge#msg4457376

The issue is that even seamless textures tend to form a pattern when used over a larger surface.

This is a texture using a seamless texture from Poly Haven: Burned Ground 01: https://polyhaven.com/a/burned_ground_01

I have 5*5 textures in the texture, and even if this texture is seamless, there is still a clear pattern.

a543eaerJhJpeEPytLZJENxQ5sHGbJgEyEskQEca.jpg

I have noticed that there are a number of Blender apps which will muddle up the textures for a more pleasing results. These apps work with rotating and tweaking the grid.

Yesterday I came across this tutorial by Jimmys Room for the rotating of textures in Blender Cycles. https://youtu.be/sgx32QQhUws.

I have given a whack at translating Jimmy’s textures to Superfly and this is my result

YqU4nQZczqc3AUlSvYWXi3mULjlTkFQwvta6z3Gf.jpg

Still a little bit of pattern, but a lot less than the original.

Here is how it is done:

1. I first define a simple texture in Cycles. I have used the Diffuse, Roughness and Normal maps, but other elements can be added.eventually.
Remember so set the Extension in the ImageTexure node to periodic

aWKQ54wxOpAVuhGpOKIMiS2cOR3PJr99zwh4t5FE.JPG

2.  I then duplicate the first and attach it to a MixClosure node with a color ramp and a noise texture. The Color Ramp is attached to the FAC of the MixClosure.

A1WFt4Ktn0N42Sf1KlzsMlrxDBB36dqNTTXQmZeq.jpg

This is the first time I run into the difference between Poser’s Cycle nodes and Blender’s. Blender has a more advanced ColorRamp node than Poser, where the old one is till applied. But I have tried to make a version of the Poser node that approximates Jimmy’s Blender node.

BGgxXxHPxLip9cedolWr1DgjXpQ0NJvsnOv8e1KH.JPGITf5GqRBflM4XtEWtzM3mzqA7HExQrcousPPIK6N.JPG

Notice how I have approximated the Blender node. This works here, but the color node is one of Jimmis’ tools to change the rotation and that is much more difficult to achieve with the Poser one

3. Once I have attached the MixClosure node to the PrincipledBDSF I then proceed to twist one of the textures by changing the setting for the z axis in the Mapping node.

qcTNZNnATdaHVQmhLHN1IOEHVHatJ5zooT1tA3VL.jpg

This already produces a better result

SuXMyjOrC1qODmM0xOhKvNWDWdv5xokIIXMyuxB3.jpg

4. But Jimmi goes further and so will I. So once more I duplicate the texture setup. Connect it to another MixClosure node and attach the first MixClosure node to the other input 

MhzBeGI5F4u6V9ddlJCwh3F5Du7BzFCpxl3NvXrA.jpg

5. Again I twist the rotation of the third Mapping Node. This is where some experimentaton comes in, I think. I use 0, 20 and 75 in this setup to achieve the result below.

ZVQDXcpdxpZxeUlFyouKoXIzblICNigY8VBYA2Lk.jpg

6. Jimmy also uses the position on the scale of the ColorRamp of his narrow gap to influence the resulting pattern of  texture, but this is more complex with the Poser node (do we get a proper Cycles ColorRamp in Poser 13?)

This is not perfect, but it is in many cases better than the tiled structure, 

I am sure I am only part of the way, and I invite others to contribute to this process. and any improvements to this setup is warmly welcome.

Ken1171_Designs ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 8:13 PM

Maybe you could simplify much of the giant shader by collapsing each copy as a composite node? You can expose only the parts you want to change, and then duplicating it to reuse it in all other copies, with only the rotation as a parameter. Also, remember these rotations are in Radians, not degrees. :)

My Store at Renderosity

My Store at PoserSoftware

Characters, Body Sculpts, Morph Corrections, Outfits, Python Scripts, Universal Heads, and Videogames!

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 8:50 PM

Well done 👍

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 10:19 PM

Unless you mathematically convert Radians to degrees within the Material Room.  I agree with Ken1171_Designs, collapsing the arrangement into a Compound node will reveal more Material Room real estate for expansion.  Use a combineXYZ node connected to the rotation channel to easily input your values.

@primorge, kindly check your settings, you are still showing up as your messages blocked from my view.

Graybeard ( ) posted Fri, 03 March 2023 at 1:47 AM

Ken1171_Designs posted at 8:13 PM Thu, 2 March 2023 - #4457468

Maybe you could simplify much of the giant shader by collapsing each copy as a composite node? You can expose only the parts you want to change, and then duplicating it to reuse it in all other copies, with only the rotation as a parameter. Also, remember these rotations are in Radians, not degrees. :)

I agree completely. Much more sexy. But for now I wanted to splay the explanation out so everybody could see what's going on. Besides, who knows if Poser 13 comes with node changes in Cycles, so we can get a better ColorRamp...

(Also I don't yet know how to make a composite node... ;-)  

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 03 March 2023 at 5:04 AM
Graybeard posted at 1:47 AM Fri, 3 March 2023 - #4457477

I agree completely. Much more sexy. But for now I wanted to splay the explanation out so everybody could see what's going on. Besides, who knows if Poser 13 comes with node changes in Cycles, so we can get a better ColorRamp...

Select the nodes you want to compound, right-click on the menu, and select Compound at the bottom of the list.

Graybeard ( ) posted Fri, 03 March 2023 at 7:31 AM
hborre posted at 5:04 AM Fri, 3 March 2023 - #4457486
Graybeard posted at 1:47 AM Fri, 3 March 2023 - #4457477

Select the nodes you want to compound, right-click on the menu, and select Compound at the bottom of the list.
Just as complicated (not!) as I expected. But I'll still wait for P13 to see if the ColorRamp node has changed.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 03 March 2023 at 7:57 AM

I seriously doubt that we'll see such a significant change in that node without a total code rewrite.  It would be nice, but like a Curves node or fully functional Ambient Occlusion node, I don't think it will happen.

Ken1171_Designs ( ) posted Fri, 03 March 2023 at 11:43 AM

I have to agree with hborre on this - the reason we don't have the Blender color ramp in Poser is because it relies on Blender functionality Poser doesn't have. However, I have seen people using the existing color ramp node when the only thing we need from it is a color gradient. For that, it serves the purpose. 

My Store at Renderosity

My Store at PoserSoftware

Characters, Body Sculpts, Morph Corrections, Outfits, Python Scripts, Universal Heads, and Videogames!

Graybeard ( ) posted Fri, 03 March 2023 at 4:13 PM

I have used the poser ColorRamp in a number of cases when I've translated Blender Cycles textures to Poser. Blenderbitesize has some very interesting texture turorials on Youtube, and I have succesfully translated a number of those to Poser. (106) blenderbitesize - YouTube

Richard60 ( ) posted Sat, 04 March 2023 at 9:45 PM · edited Sat, 04 March 2023 at 9:46 PM

Try this as a substitute for the blender color ramp

7 Color Color Ramp for Poser SuperFly (renderosity.com)

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

Graybeard ( ) posted Sun, 05 March 2023 at 6:02 PM
Richard60 posted at 9:45 PM Sat, 4 March 2023 - #4457680

Try this as a substitute for the blender color ramp

7 Color Color Ramp for Poser SuperFly (renderosity.com)

Brilliant. Thank you!

ironsoul ( ) posted Wed, 08 March 2023 at 1:02 PM · edited Wed, 08 March 2023 at 1:04 PM

Not sure if of interest and not a general solution but trying to solve the same issue , one thought as an alternative to texture bombing is to vary the texel density by distance, don't know if there is a programatical way to do this  but if so could the UV stretch and projection be auto generated by a poser python script on a ground plane. Example render is not Poser but uses UV stretching via substance designer to project onto a static stretched UV.

Bl1vcPbiYMgLWzYYQMwOsXvIbP4kPYr8GumLUCzb.png

Graybeard ( ) posted Thu, 09 March 2023 at 4:10 AM
ironsoul posted at 1:02 PM Wed, 8 March 2023 - #4457943

Not sure if of interest and not a general solution but trying to solve the same issue , one thought as an alternative to texture bombing is to vary the texel density by distance, don't know if there is a programatical way to do this  but if so could the UV stretch and projection be auto generated by a poser python script on a ground plane. Example render is not Poser but uses UV stretching via substance designer to project onto a static stretched UV.

Bl1vcPbiYMgLWzYYQMwOsXvIbP4kPYr8GumLUCzb.png

That sounds like an interesting idea. I am not your man for Python, though

ironsoul ( ) posted Thu, 09 March 2023 at 12:25 PM · edited Thu, 09 March 2023 at 12:25 PM

My imagination greatly exceeds my intelligence so there is probably some major flaw in the logic but the idea is when doing close to medium renders much of a standard image map is wasted. First step is to build a plane mesh were the camera view intersects the ground plane and then stretch the UV to maximise the texture density nearest the camera. Final step is to use triplaner projection to generate the image file. No one has time or patience to do that for each render so the thought was to see if it could be done via a python script, I seem to remember someone had a ground plane generator script. I kind of lost interest at the point.

The reason was going down this route is because I couldn't figure out how to do the texture bombing in Poser, but could in Substance. With your post I think it makes more sense to do it Poser.

Below is my attempt at a manually created POC, but gives a better idea of what I'm trying to achive. On the right is the plane, on left if the UV map and below is the result of the triplaner projection.

JvAHdij9ZNeeCJtnhATHLhiEmKhIw2uW0aIhm7XO.png

gS1nQ0Zx5zhuWuZxOuNoopuId7UuRENsBfInucAz.png

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.