Sat, Sep 7, 9:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 9:50 am)

Subject: Why do you render without shadows??

diolma ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 1:26 PM

"Did any of you catch the year they made the (I think it was) Miss America pagent contestants go barefoot for the swimsuit competition? It was a fantastic moment. I loved it." I didn't see it but I wish I had! I've always wondered why, in approx 80% of the catwalk shows for swim-wear, the models are wearing high-heeled shoes. It makes them look silly. Swim-wear is designed for either the beach or the pool. Try walking on sand wearing high heels (probably not easy, never tried it 'cos a: it doesn't seem practical, b: I'm male). Or swimming wearing them, if it comes to that. (never tried that either for the same 2 reasons as above, plus c: I can't swim.) Cheers, Diolma

geep ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 1:39 PM

LOL @ Di

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 2:07 PM

Yeah.....yeah.....that's right!

They don't need those impractical high-heeled shoes. And while they are at it -- they really don't need those impractical swimsuits, either!

I think that the Miss America pagent should show us all just how practically-minded they really are, and lose both the shoes AND the swimsuits! Then we'll all understand the true meaning of practicality --- AND the true meaning underlying the Miss America pagent, as well.

Neat.

The only remaining question would be: what'll they do with the shadows onstage?

BTW - floating figures in a Poser scene help to give the image a dream-like quality. So it's actually the sign of a true surrealist artist......an expression of Yearning for Freedom from the Tyranny of Gravity.......

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 2:09 PM

"I think that the Miss America pagent should show us all just how practically-minded they really are, and lose both the shoes AND the swimsuits!" Sounds like a plan. :D

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 3:56 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_327368.jpg

I have been playing with scenes that have no lights at all! I got the toon shaders set at Sixus1 for $2.95 or $6.95 or something like that... it is great. Has informative instructions and work beautifully. Really neat. Click to use... need no expertice at all. But I am working my way through their .pdf node tutorial ($6.95 I believe) and it is sooo understanable and helpfull. Also Rebekah (sp?) is really nice :) The image above is my first render. No lights. I have been post working these images in Photoshop to be like paintings.

FlyByNight ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 5:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1068807&Start=37&Artist=FlyByNight&ByArtist=Yes

file_327369.jpg

I love shadows, just gotta have them and most of the images in my gallery do. But there are times when I don't use them, as with the linked image, Rogue, or for promo work, or for some prints, like this Ballerina set I'm doing for two little girls I know. One in a series of six. I also don't get the "great" comments on images with floating figures, or pasted onto backgrounds with shadows put in wrong or badly.

FlyByNight

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 7:55 PM

Shadows can be difficult to get right. But I feel that good shadows are worth the investment. Since I don't do postwork (part of it is principle, but the major part is lack of skill in 2D), I often do dozens of test renders until the lighting and shadows look like I want them to. It takes time and effort. Again, good shadows and good poses are worth the time and effort IMO.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 8:44 PM

Very nice image, FlyByNight.

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 11:34 PM

Nance, the shadow cam scaling works like a dream. Do you have any idea why? Thanks for the tip.

randalthor2 ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 11:38 PM

I've rendered with shadows since the beginning, coz it creates depth and mood. I find that my renders will look 'bald' or 'default' when made without shadows...:) It's not always that a shadow fall exactly where you want (you can adjust using spotlights, if you're patient enough :), but even unexpected shadows can really make a cool effect at times. Perhaps the challenge in creating shadows is in making it logical...:) The easiest is to blame it all on the 'outside of the camera' source hehe, I've been guilty of this countless times, but a logical shadow & light combination will undoubtedly create magical images :) Just me two cents...:) Peace!

macelene ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 9:36 AM

As for me and Shadows... well it just depends on the image. I spend about 45-50% of my time on an image working with lights. Sometimes they look better without. I'm one of those that people like to rant about as I do not care for crisp shadows. And just looking around my room the only shadows that are crisp are the one where the item is right next to the wall tothe point of almost touching. So from my own point of view crisp shadows are not all that realistic. I tend to keep my soft. And geep I'd love to see another tut on Lighting. It was your tuts that help me understand P4 lighting. So if youget a chacne to make one for P6 I'd be a happy lil girl.

Macey ^_^

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.