Sat, Sep 7, 10:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:19 am)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: I have a problem

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2021 at 8:02 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 12:01 PM

A few months ago I bought a new computer that was loaded with Windows 10. I couldn't load any of the new Blender apps from 2.8 on. I had to download a missing driver, which I did and was able to now load and start Blender2.8 apps and so on. The current programs run except for one majorly distracting distraction. I get these colorful artifacts whenever I select a vert. I don't know why, but it's so distracting, I haven't opened blender at all this summer. Anyone know what's going on?

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2021 at 9:43 PM
Forum Moderator

Hello EClark1894

I see you say you are using Blender 2.8 but can I ask which one? 2.8.0 to current is 2.8.5 is this Blender installed having used the installer or are you running Blender from zip file? Is this a version of Blender you might have installed from the Microsoft Store yes Blender is available from the Microsoft store like an app and that version is not the best way to get Blender. OK I would try first off is Goto Files> Defaults>Load Factory Settings to reset Blender to default state. Check Graphic Drivers are current If you have any add-ons that are ported for Blender 2.93 might not work well in 2.8 due to python and most add-on creators are only supporting their add-ons from 2.82 and above and usually release a 2.8 ver and 2.93 ver Double check that your monitor is set to the correct resolution. Regretfully from the image hard to tell what might be wrong hope some of the steps I mentioned help 

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2021 at 10:42 PM
Lobo3433 posted at 9:43 PM Thu, 28 October 2021 - #4429527

Hello EClark1894

Regretfully from the image hard to tell what might be wrong hope some of the steps I mentioned help

Lobo makes a good point Earl.  Your screenshot is too small for anyone to see the settings you used.  Try making a much larger screenshot, and someone may be able to pick out what the issue is, though Lobo certainly mentioned a number of things that could possibly be the culprit(s).

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2021 at 12:01 AM · edited Wed, 17 November 2021 at 10:22 AM
Lobo3433 posted at 9:43 PM Thu, 28 October 2021 - #4429527

Hello EClark1894

I see you say you are using Blender 2.8 but can I ask which one? 2.8.0 to current is 2.8.5 is this Blender installed having used the installer or are you running Blender from zip file? Is this a version of Blender you might have installed from the Microsoft Store yes Blender is available from the Microsoft store like an app and that version is not the best way to get Blender. OK I would try first off is Goto Files> Defaults>Load Factory Settings to reset Blender to default state. Check Graphic Drivers are current If you have any add-ons that are ported for Blender 2.93 might not work well in 2.8 due to python and most add-on creators are only supporting their add-ons from 2.82 and above and usually release a 2.8 ver and 2.93 ver Double check that your monitor is set to the correct resolution. Regretfully from the image hard to tell what might be wrong hope some of the steps I mentioned help 

It is any version of Blender from 2.8 on. I do know that it happened in 2.9+. Also I downloaded it from the Blender Site.

ELN4pOaEItlnfpQDo9u53TXdtW6o9SgM5RHj2a3G.png

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2021 at 7:40 AM
Site Admin

That looks similar to what I had happening with 2.8x. We decided it was a video card issue. 2.79 worked fine and 2.92 and up work.  It doesn't sound like you're so lucky. But my card is old. Maybe check the drivers.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2021 at 8:22 AM
Forum Moderator

From looking at that screen shot I honestly can not tell what is going on unless the graphic drivers are not up to date or the start up file in Blender is corrupt I would first check make sure your graphic drivers are up to date if that does not help reinstall Blender the two latest versions are 2.85 and 2.93 at the moment I can not think of anything else that might be going on.  

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

LuxXeon ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2021 at 4:06 PM

Hmm.  In your original post, you mentioned that you recently got a new computer and it was pre-loaded with Win 10, and that you were unable to load 2.8 until you loaded a missing driver.  My first question is have you updated Windows 10 with all the patches and cumulative updates?  Often when you get Win 10 preloaded, it's a much older version than what is currently in use and could very well be missing key drivers that are needed to run certain applications.  Second, as others have suggested, make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date.  May I ask what graphics card your system is using? 

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 3:40 PM
LuxXeon posted at 4:06 PM Fri, 29 October 2021 - #4429579

Hmm.  In your original post, you mentioned that you recently got a new computer and it was pre-loaded with Win 10, and that you were unable to load 2.8 until you loaded a missing driver.  My first question is have you updated Windows 10 with all the patches and cumulative updates?  Often when you get Win 10 preloaded, it's a much older version than what is currently in use and could very well be missing key drivers that are needed to run certain applications.  Second, as others have suggested, make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date.  May I ask what graphics card your system is using? 

It doesn't say. I think its a graphics chipset.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 7:33 PM · edited Mon, 01 November 2021 at 7:34 PM

EClark1894, you mean the graphics are built into the CPU?  If so, this could be the problem.  Blender 2.8 and above require a minimum GPU spec to run viewport operations properly.  When it was first released Blender 2.8 had a minimum requirement of a GPU that is no older than 8 years, with support for at least 1GB of Vram, and capable of running OpenGL 3.3 or higher.  Although your chipset could be new, it may not support the minimum GPU driver specs required by Blender because it is not a discreet graphics card.  However, the minimum specs are absolutely minimum, and there have been reports of some viewport problems even with those specs.  The recommended specs are a bit higher.  The recommended GPU specs for Blender 2.8 and higher include a graphics card with at least 4GB VRAM and 16 GB of system RAM.

Check to see what exactly your GPU capabilities are, and especially check to see if they meet the minimum or recommended specifications to run Blender 2.8 or higher.  Here is a direct link to the spec sheets on Blender.org:

https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/

I can't say for certain this is the problem, but if your system specifications (especially the GPU) do not meet the recommended specs, then we can be almost certain this is the issue.  Let me know if you solve it some other way, but in the meantime do some research on your system to see if it meets the specs.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2021 at 5:15 AM

For the record, I've checked my drivers. It says they're all up to date. So I'm assuming that it's  because it's a chipset and not a graphics card. I'm going to see about getting a card, but until then, I may have to go back to v2.79.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2021 at 10:16 PM

EClark1894 posted at 5:15 AM Sun, 7 November 2021 - #4430032

For the record, I've checked my drivers. It says they're all up to date. So I'm assuming that it's  because it's a chipset and not a graphics card. I'm going to see about getting a card, but until then, I may have to go back to v2.79.

What kind of computer do you have?  Is it a laptop or is it a desktop?

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2021 at 6:23 PM
LuxXeon posted at 10:16 PM Sun, 7 November 2021 - #4430060

EClark1894 posted at 5:15 AM Sun, 7 November 2021 - #4430032

What kind of computer do you have?  Is it a laptop or is it a desktop?

Desktop.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 13 November 2021 at 10:22 PM · edited Wed, 17 November 2021 at 10:22 AM
Forum Moderator

There is a program called Speecy that can give you all the info as to what is inside your system that might help in determining your problem because even if your graphics are built in most current system should be able to support OpenGL drivers and should be able to get you to run at least Blender 2.85 maybe even 2.93 Speecy is a freeware and is very safe I have it installed on my system and it is a good informational  app determine what hardware is inside your Desk top below is a sample of the info from my system 

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

LuxXeon ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2021 at 7:56 PM

Just curious if you ever got this solved.  I'm 99% confident it's due to a display issue, probably from lack of Vram or drivers or both.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.