Sat, Sep 7, 10:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 06 11:12 am)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How are the coordinate directions for subdivision morph deltas determined?

odf ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2021 at 7:58 PM · edited Sun, 25 August 2024 at 12:57 AM

Pretty self-explanatory topic, I guess... 😄

I'm trying to write a script that makes PMDs for subdivision morphs. The tricky bit is that the deltas do not encode displacements in the x-, y-, and z-direction like regular deltas, but they are given with respect to a local coordinate system that is different for each vertex.

The first direction, let's call it n for normal, is an approximation of the vertex normal. It can be a bit off, which could be a hint that it's interpolated rather the re-computed from scratch.

Of the remaining directions u and v, it seems that one always goes along an edge that's incident to the current vertex. How that edge is chosen, and how it is determined whether its direction will be u or v, I don't know.

I'm still experimenting and hope to find out more in time, but if anyone happens to know the exact method that's used for this in Poser, I beg you to have a heart for a poor confused mathematician and tell me.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

odf ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2021 at 1:55 AM

Okay, after some more experimentation, it looks as if the u- and v-directions are actually aligned with the texture coordinates. Knowing that is going to help a lot, although I'm not sure it's quite enough.

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 10:24 AM

How I proceeded:
First, I loaded the standard prop "one sided square" into Poser. This consists of only four vertices that form a rectangle. I set the prop to subdivision level 1. Then I took Poser's morphbrush and moved the upper middle vertex (generated by Sub-D) to create a morph called "test". With "save binary" turned off, I saved the prop. I loaded the result into a text editor and searched for the entry "test". There I found this:

targetGeom test
            {
            name test
            initValue 0
            hidden 0
            enabled 1
            forceLimits 1
            min -100000
            max 100000
            trackingScale 0.02
            masterSynched 1
            keys
                {
                static  0
                k  0  1
                }
            interpStyleLocked 0
            indexes 0
            numbDeltas 4
            targetExtendedInfo
                {
                subdivDeltas 1
                    {
                    level 1
                        {
                        indexes 1
                        numbDeltas 9
                        d 7 0.01 0.0 0.0
                        }
                    }
                }
            blendType 0
            }

If you change the entry in targetExtendedInfo, the newly loaded prop behaves similar to any standard morph. And you can add entries if you like.

You can download my test file here and try it yourself: https://adp.spdns.org/xyz.pp2

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 10:36 AM

Apparently you can load Sub-D morphs indirectly like any other morph without having to go via PMD. It's a pity that you can't reach the morphs via Python. This prevents the use of tools (e.g. to "clean", correct, adjust or mask morphs). And it makes handling quite slow if you first have to create an intermediate file that Poser can process instead of directly processing an OBJ file.

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 10:50 AM · edited Thu, 23 December 2021 at 10:51 AM

Seems like Poser stores the SubD-0 data first and then the hires information right after that.

Example: Geometry has 100 vertices. For Sub-D-0 morphs index 0-99 is reserved, from index 100 the Sub-D-1 to n level information starts.

odf ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 4:02 PM · edited Thu, 23 December 2021 at 4:07 PM
adp001 posted at 10:24 AM Thu, 23 December 2021 - #4432310

How I proceeded:
First, I loaded the standard prop "one sided square" into Poser. This consists of only four vertices that form a rectangle. I set the prop to subdivision level 1. Then I took Poser's morphbrush and moved the upper middle vertex (generated by Sub-D) to create a morph called "test". With "save binary" turned off, I saved the prop. I loaded the result into a text editor and searched for the entry "test". There I found this:

That's more or less what I did for my experiments. I create empty morphs from within the morph tool and save the CR2 with binaries turned off. Then I set the subdiv deltas to some defined values, load the result into Poser and see where the vertices go. I've also exported OBJs of the mesh with and without the morph to verify that the first delta direction is the normal.

The remaining big problem is to figure out how the u and v directions are computed. From visual inspection (on Antonia low-res) they seem aligned with the texture u and v but they are not generally orthogonal to the normal direction. Without knowing the exact method for determining those directions, the morphs will be off wherever the surface is not completely flat.

If the directions are computed on the base mesh and then interpolated (rather then recomputed from scratch) for the higher subdivision levels, one could potentially just take the measurements once for each mesh and then feed that into the script.

ETA: I hadn't tried to save just the prop. It's good to know that that also works.

odf ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 4:04 PM
adp001 posted at 10:50 AM Thu, 23 December 2021 - #4432317

Seems like Poser stores the SubD-0 data first and then the hires information right after that.

Example: Geometry has 100 vertices. For Sub-D-0 morphs index 0-99 is reserved, from index 100 the Sub-D-1 to n level information starts.

Yes, I think it's original vertices, then face centers, then edge points. Face centers and edge points seem to go in the order they occur in the face data (or the OBJ, which is what I looked at).

odf ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 4:31 PM

I'm taking a little break from this now to work on other parts of the script. But the plan for the next step is to map the texture space left, right, up and down directions at a vertex onto the embedded mesh and compare them with the displacements Poser produces when I use something like [0, 0.001, 0] or [0, 0, 0.001] as the delta.

odf ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 4:32 PM
odf posted at 4:02 PM Thu, 23 December 2021 - #4432339

I create empty morphs from within the morph tool and save the CR2 with binaries turned off.

Sorry, that was my scatterbrain talking. I meant PZ3, not CR2.

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 7:29 PM

odf posted at 4:31 PM Thu, 23 December 2021 - #4432342

I'm taking a little break from this now to work on other parts of the script.

Ok. I did the same :)

odf ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2021 at 8:17 PM

Just a quick note: it seems that the numbering for the vertices of a subdivided mesh is a bit more complicated than I thought. I had a go with Antonia and not even the numbering of the original vertices is stable when subdividing. A possibility is that the numbering is done per actor, or maybe the infamous ghost vertices play a role. A bit off-topic for this thread, though, better to discuss it in the other one.

Happy Isaac Newton's birthday!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.